I came across one of my earliest portraits. Aiee! Good thing I drew the same man twice. It is a good reminder that practice really does do wonders.
Our adult art class is doing well with their first forays into watercolour. These are great paintings!
I didn’t particularly like this little painting that I did for a miniature show. Then, along came someone who really liked it so I gave it to him. I like to see a painting go to a good home 🙂
I have some brilliant red frames that make finding a landscape subject difficult. I tried with this one and didn’t like it at all… then I put it in the royal blue frame and it smartened right up 🙂
If you follow this blog you may have seen a few versions of this painting lately. I’ve wanted to paint it for a while but I suppose I needed to plan it out fairly carefully rather than just jumping in as I usually do. So I found I was putting it off for a long time. Something just wasn’t happening in my mind. I was losing interest in the whole idea. Luckily, we needed a subject for painting at the Lodge. I did a run through painting, hated it, but also lost it before we got to the Lodge. I still don’t know what happened to that first one. I did another as a demo for the ladies and they did their separate and unique versions, as seen here last week. All the while I was receiving more information about how to go about painting the scene the way I wanted it to be. At last I did a quick sketch and began painting.
From the finished product you may never have realized that I took a fat brush and flicked in wet paint to make the flowers. There was no sketching there. The trees also began as dripped paint, leaking down into the grass. My way of keeping things loose is to use a lot of water so I have no choice in the matter. However, I disliked the painting until I put in the nice neat house and smartened up the fence and flowers. The light through the flower bed was completely unplanned, but luckily I had the sense to notice it and preserve it. This does not always happen.
I’m not great with flowers, but these somehow turned out well. I think you might even identify them as sweet peas. I didn’t draw them; that would have put me off the whole project before I even wet my paints.
I’ve ended up being most pleased with this painting because I struggled with it for so long, and hated my initial results. I knew I wasn’t doing a good job, but I couldn’t figure out why. Somehow, the process of creation smoothed out the troubles and something positive came out. That’s what art is for 🙂
This is destined for a red frame, no matte. It wasn’t inspired by Valentine’s day, although I did get a bouquet of red roses 🙂
I sat down to paint and was just getting into it when the Yorkie wanted to sit behind me. It took some arranging to pack a folding chair with pillows and blankets so he wouldn’t fall through, but finally we got settled (semi-comfortably). I finished my painting all too quickly and realized I had either to disturb the Yorkie (not really an option) or find something to paint right where I was sitting. Hence the paint brushes. Here are my three Princetons and the 1″ Escoda flat.
I like to greyscale my paintings to see if I have the values right. Looks good. I find the most difficult thing about painting brushes is the symmetry of the handle. It is really difficult to get the swelling and tapering the same on each side!